Friday, December 17, 2010

Allergy Free Gingerbread Cookies

I remember making these gingerbread cookies with my childhood babysitter.  I don't know her recipe, because I'm sure that it had tons of butter in it, but I loved decorating and tasting the cookies.  These are perfect holiday activity to enjoy with my children.  When we were making a batch the other night for my daughter's class party she said, "I love times like this, Mommy.  I love decorating cookies with you."

It melted my heart.  I'm just so happy to have recipes to share with her and bake together like all kids should be able to do, even if they have allergies.

Ingredients

1/3 c soy butter (Earth Balance)
½ c brown sugar
½ c molasses
3 tbs water
3 tbs canola oil
2 ½  c flour
1  tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp cloves

In a large bowl, blend together softened soy butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer.   Add molasses, oil, and water and mix on low. Measure the dry ingredients and stir together in a medium bowl.  Pour the flower mixture in the large bowl and mix again until fully blended.  Turn the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least one hour or up to overnight.   Roll out the dough on a heavily floured board cut out cookies with cookie cutters.  For quick decorating, sprinkle with colored sugar sprinkles and bake on an ungreased baking sheet at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes.   Or just bake the cookies plain and frost and decorate them when they have cooled completely.  Makes about 2 dozen cookies.  



Icing


2 c powdered sugar
2 tsp water
2 tsp soy milk


Mix ingredients together well.  You can also divide the frosting and add food coloring.  Frost cookies completely and add colored sugar sprinkles or pipe icing around cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment