Sunday, December 19, 2010

Dairy, Egg, and Nut Free Coconut Dream Cake

I love coconut in all forms and in a cake it is wonderful. I had been planning to make a dairy, egg and nut free coconut cake for some time, but usually the kids request chocolate or strawberry cakes for their birthdays.  Plus, my husband hates coconut and doesn't really like cake (I have no idea how that is even possible).  I do sometimes feel slightly guilty just making a cake because I want one; I guess as all moms do.  My mother in law loves coconut as much as I do, so I was thrilled to try one out for her birthday.



Ingredients

2 c coconut milk
2/3 c canola oil
2 c sugar
2 tbs white vinegar
2 tsp coconut extract (you can use vanilla if you cannot find coconut)
3 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Grease and flour 2 round cake pans and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl mix together the first 5 ingredients on medium low speed with an electric mixer.  Coconut milk can be thick and chunky when it has settled in a can, but smooths out nicely when beaten or heated.  Sift together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.  Gradually add the flour mixture to the coconut milk mixture and beat after each addition.

Divide the batter into the 2 cake pans and use a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl.  Take a little taste to see how delicious the batter is.  Don't worry, since there are now uncooked eggs in the batter.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cake is golden brown.  Remove pans form the oven and cool for 10 minutes.  Turn cake out of pans onto wire racks and cool completely.  Frost with Dairy Free Coconut Dream Frosting.


Dairy Free Coconut Dream Frosting

Ingredients
2/3 c soy butter softened (I use Earth Balance)
4-5 tbs coconut milk
4 tsp coconut extract
6 c powdered sugar
1/2 c shredded coconut for flaking onto cake

Add the first 3 ingredients to a medium sized bowl and mix well with an electric mixer.  Gradually add the powdered sugar beating well after each addition.  Frost and fill cake.  Sprinkle flaked coconut on top of cake and gently press onto the sides of the cake.  Serve with coconut ice cream if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment